Tuesday, September 2, 2008

It's not labor when it's love






I am tired but not weary tired but the kind of tired like after a good workout tired. Labor day weekend that had few plans filled up fast with lots of fun. It all began on Friday, because the house was clean and we hadn't played with them for while, we invited Leacock's over for some dinner and ping pong. I did labor a lot on the house cleanup but not the dinner which Tom mentioned several times during the meal. I got the whole meal except for my homemade chocolate chip cookies at Costco. All I had to do was heat up, throw together and mix in everything and it was good. We were good hosts because even though we beat Kim and Rick in ping pong they beat us at spades. So I think they will return.
The next day after a bike ride we decided to invite Tom's Mom, brother and sister-in-love over for dinner. Dave and Robin were up taking in the last days of summer at Mom's and staying over to watch the UCLA Game on Monday. We had a nice meal and ended up talking the night away. I was getting tired when I looked at my watch and it was around 10. I love it when I am having such a great conversation that the time just slips away. Robin and I even hashed out the Cox Christmas gathering which I will be sending out to everyone soon.
Monday of Labor Day weekend for the first time in history the UCLA Bruins had a game. We had packed up the day before in the afternoon so our 8:45 departure for a 5:oo pm game wasn't too bad. It wasn't bad especially because we ended up leaving late as usual at 9:05, with anguish not knowing if we could get a spot on the lawn right in front of the Rose Bowl. Alas, our efforts were rewarded with a third row, YES very near the bathroom, spot. Being near the bathroom is crucial if you are there as long as we are!! After paying our $15.00 (this goes up $5.00 each year) we filed into our slot along with our good friends the Green family including Tim. As soon as the car stops we all jump out and start staking out our territory. The shades go up first because that marks the boundaries and then we fill in with our tables chairs and cooking equipment. Over the years we have accumulated quite a lot making our day comfortable. We have this down to a science with Dennis Green as our great commander and chief. He helps make up the menu for the day. This week was more work because it was breakfast (pancakes and bacon) and dinner (just hot dogs). During the day Tom and I got the privilege of meeting a famous UCLA player from the past, Gary Beban. He gave autographs and I took Tom's picture with him. He was a very nice man and even enjoyed hearing Tom's stories of UCLA in the 60's. At around noon the second shift of Kevin, Colleen,Ryan, Matt and Tiffany showed up just in time to play some games and have dinner. The only sadness was that our girls weren't present with us but I know Amy and Emily were there in spirit :-). All our labor was rewarded with an exciting game (we won 27-24) against Tennessee with a bonus of fireworks afterwards.
It was a working weekend but when you are doing what you love..... it isn't labor.

No comments: